Monday, October 31, 2005

False Alarm

Late last night as I was sleeping I was jolted back to consciousness by the screeching sound of the camp siren. The siren is referred to as the “big voice” and it is used to sound the alarm in the event of enemy attack.

So here I am sound asleep and I hear the unmistakable sound of the sirens blasting in the dead of night. My immediate thought was,” Mortar attack!” and I quickly jumped out of bed and started heading for the bunker. Despite my sleep induced grogginess I quickly realized there was another noise that was noticeably missing…the sound of mortar rounds exploding. (This is an important point since no one would know to sound the alarm until after the first mortar round had impacted).

At about that moment the siren fell silent and was quickly followed by the “all clear” which indicates the danger has passed. As I stood there in nothing but my shorts and flip-flops I was completely befuddled by what had just occurred. “Surely that wasn’t a drill” I thought to myself as I made my way back to bed. It took me a few minutes to get my heart rate back down, but I soon drifted back to sleep.

The next morning I found out the truth. Some klutz in the TOC had bumped into the siren control panel and set it off.

Not cool. Not cool at all.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEHE, Glad I wasn't there!! :-) It's your sister Big Bro! Can't Wait to hear of your homecoming!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shorts and flip flops?? That's not the mental image I needed to today :)

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aggh, yes, the klutz in the TOC. There is always one, isn't there? Take care and we are anxiously waiting to hear good news on your homecoming, soon. - Carol

6:46 PM  
Blogger Politics of a Patriot said...

I'm just glad it wasn't a real mortar attack! But I can see how that would be irritating... REALLY irritating, lol.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! I'm sure the guy felt like a real cockroach after that "mistake". Glad it was a mistake!

Take care.

7:54 PM  
Blogger RebeccaMcCormick said...

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats the army for you haha

jus

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That would really p*ss me off. But like it has already been said, better than a real attack. God bless and stay safe over there.

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all you have done, I admire and appreciate all your efforts during your stay in Iraq.
You truly make proud to be an American.

Proud in NH

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEAR CAPT.UPPERMAN,
I AM A RETIRED NEW YORK CITY FIREMAN AND A KOREAN WAR VET. I READ ABOUT YOUR BLOG IN OUR LOCAL PAPER.
I WANT TO SAY FIRST, GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL THE TROOPS WHO ARE FIGHTING THE WAR ON TERRORISM.MY ENTIRE FAMILY AND MANY OF MY FRIENDS SUPPORT OUR TROOPS. AND I CAN SAY CONFIDENTLY THAT THE FDNY IS OVERWHELMING IN ITS SUPPORT OF OUR TROOPS.
GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CPT Upperman, I like your attitude and blog. It gives the folks back home an insight into our Soldier's lives. A positve attitude will be the best guarantee of your and your soldier's safe return home. I am a two tour Viet Nam Vet. Keep up the good work.
Richard W Sims
CPT, MP, Texas State Guard
rwsimslub@hotmail.com

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey
I really apricate everything you do for us over in Iraq. Me and my family really support troups over there
God bless

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GRACIAS * POR CENTIRNOS ORGULLOSOS DE ESTE PAIS , Y MUCHAS GRACIAS * POR DARNOS LA LIBERTAD ... QUE TENEMOS . YO Y MI FAMILIA NOS SENTIMOS ORGULLOSOS** DE USTEDES *.. QUE DIOS LOS CUIDE Y LA VIRGEN LOS ACONPANE ,
AT: FAMILIA LUCERO ORTEGA

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I would have been PO'ed, but way to stay calm. But I guess that is what training is for right? And I just wanted to say good job soldier and keep up the good work. Make a safe trip home and take care.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is scary.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Sgt. Hatt! He was on the sherrif's net that night and hit the toggle going out the front door. I can only keep quiet for so long.

Saint 5

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX